How to waterproof jackets
These instructions will show you how to achieve the best results when waterproofing a jacket. It is designed to be followed using the waterproof spray for jackets. It is a simple step-by-step set of instructions to show you the basics of waterproofing jackets and any other clothing you may wish to give extra water repellancy.
Preparation – before waterproofing a jacket or coat:
- Have sufficient quantity of product for waterproofing jackets. Our product detail page on waterproof spray for jackets and coats can give you an indication of how much product you need
- Clean the item of clothing following manufacturers instructions (usually found on the inside label)
- For best results, the treatment should be applied damp
- Prepare the area, for example a work surface or table. Newspaper is ideal for protecting the surface from any overspray
- Lay the garment flat on a protected working surface for optimal results. However, for practicality, larger coats and jackets can be treated outside, for example on a clothes hanger hanging from a washing line
- Spray from at least 20cm (8 inches) above the garment, allowing the mist to fall onto the fabric (rather than spray at the garment)
- Spray evenly, slowly moving around the area that is facing upward
- Wait 2 minutes and smooth out any formed droplets with clean damp cloth
- Turn the garment around and repeat until all areas have had a coating
- If applying to a hanging jacket or coat, work instead from the top down, smoothing any droplet runs that form
- Air dry the garment inside or outside
- Hanging the garment on a washing line or clothes hanger is ideal
- Smooth out droplets with a clean, damp cloth
Important: Your jacket has not been waterproofed until it is completely dry. For the safety of you and your jacket, never use a heat source.
Repeat the procedure when the jacket needs waterproofing again or after washing. Aftert the first time, you should be a dab hand at waterproofing jackets and coats and it won’t take long at all!
Important safety notes
- Keep away from children and animals. Before waterproofing a jacket, make sure no children or pets have access to the work area.
- Do not ingest or inhale the mist.
- Avoid contact with eyes and wash hands thoroughly after waterproofing jackets.
- In case of ingestion contact a medical professional.
- In case of contact with eyes, flush continuously with water for at least 10 minutes.